Do you like cheese danish? I LOVE cheese danish! It is something I thoroughly enjoy with a hot cup of morning coffee. This recipe makes a delicious batch of pastries that would just be a perfect way to start your New Year’s celebration with friends and family.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar (or Splenda)
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest (or orange if you don’t have lemons)
- 1 box puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg + 1 Tbsp water – beaten in bowl
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or waxed paper.
- Cream together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth in a large bowl on low. Add the egg yolks, ricotta cheese, vanilla, salt, and zest and mix until just combined. Do not whip the mixture.
- Unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Roll slightly until it is a 10×10 square. Cut into equal fourths. Onto each fourth, place a heaping tablespoon of cheese mixture. Brush the border of each square with egg wash. Fold 2 opposite corners into the center, repeating with the remaining corners. Overlap so they firmly stick together. Brush the tops with egg wash. Place onto prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry and cheese mixture.
- Chill for 15-30 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes. About halfway through, rotate the pan for even baking. Best served while still warm.
What a lovely sweet treat alongside fresh fruit or a few sausage links. YUM!