I did not know how much I loved dates until I helped my grandma make these cookies. Of course she let me eat several dates and Oooooh were they sweet and delicious. My mom & I talk a lot about how these cookies remind both of us of my Grandma King – because she would make date cookies at Christmas and we loved them!
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup white flour
- fat-free milk
- Prepare dough ahead of time as it requires chilling for several hours.
- Cream brown sugar, margarine and egg white. Stir in both flours and baking powder. Cover and place in refrigerator for 3-5 hours.
- When ready to make the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/8″ thickness on a floured surface. Cut 3″ circles (about 36). In half of the circles, cut out a 1″ circle from the center.
- Prepare filling by cooking dates, water and apple juice over low heat until dates are broken down and juice is mostly absorbed. Allow to cool.
- Place a teaspoon of date filling on full circles, and cover w/cut outs for a top. Brush edges with milk and press together slightly. Bake 12 minutes
These are not as sweet or rich as a lot of other goodies at Christmas, so they are a nice alternative and go perfectly with a cup of tea or coffee!